Tuesday, January 31, 2017

December Blog Post

During December, the Winter sports season started, and I joined swimming PE. It was very different from last year because now there is a new teacher and the intention of the class is somewhat different. There is more of a variety of experience levels, and I am the most experienced one in that class. I have been helping out a bit. There is one student who is particularly new to swimming (she has a hard time putting her face in the water) and a few others who are able to swim but not very advanced. I learned from working with the less experienced student that it is quite hard to teach people to swim, especially when they are so reluctant. I hope that teaching children will be easier in that regard, since they are more open to trying new things, while teenagers and adults have a more fixed mindset. Moving forward, I am going to make sure that it is okay to teach at open swim, and then email some schools in the area that might have children in need of free swim lessons.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your comments about mindsets. A growth mindset is critical for swimming, and more common in children. That could be a good thing to look into and add to your project. Here is a place to start if you are interested:
    https://characterlab.org/tools/growth-mindset

    ReplyDelete