Tuesday, November 29, 2016

November Blog Post 2

I signed up to go to St. Rose college and participate in the Friday Night Fishes program, which involves teaching kids with autism spectrum disorder how to swim. I taught 2 different kids. One was a boy who was about 11 years old who was more significantly affected, and the other one was a boy who was about 6 and less significantly affected. A lot of the lesson was following the kids around as they did their own thing and trying to get them to practice kicking or another skill (and in the case of the younger boy, making sure he did not drown) but I think I did reasonably well. If I can teach kids with ASD it will be easier to teach neurotypical kids.

1 comment:

  1. What a great experience! I am really impressed that you volunteered for this program, and that you had the skills to work with children with needs like this.

    The term "neurotypical" is new to me and very interesting. It makes sense! Thanks for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete