Wednesday, April 12, 2017

April Blog Post 1

This has been a busy day for my project and I just want to write it all down. I got a call this morning just minutes after I woke up from the principal of PS 16 saying that he was going to send the flyer home with parents today. Then, I got 2 emails and a phone call over the course of the day with parents or grandparents who are interested in the program. I actually set up a lesson with a guy named David on the phone who has two daughters. The time is next Wednesday. That is less than a week from now and I am a little nervous. One of my concerns is again how to make sure that they can touch the bottom of the pool. There is a platform that I think I have seen in the pool before but it is under 2 heavy machines. I will ask Rob about it when I see him at swim ASPE. I also helped someone yesterday with swimming. ASPE was cancelled because Rob was sick but Ms. Parry asked if I could lifeguard while everyone else swam. I helped a student tread water. At first she was hesitant and scared to let go of the wall, but we just sort of had a conversation about something unrelated which I think helped to take her mind off of her fear. I eventually had her hold the rope on the end of the lifeguarding tube. At first she held on very tightly but then she started relying on it less and by the end she was treading water almost on her own. Sorry that this is long and not very organized but I am really excited and nervous. I just have to keep reminding myself that it is okay if I am not perfect and I do not owe anybody anything and that the only way I could fail is if I did not show up or if I let someone drown, and that won't happen. I also should probably work on my phone talking skills, and my social skills in general. I think my conversations went okay but they could have been a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment